Oregon SB 978 – Democrats Push For Total Gun Control
by Shari Dovale
The Oregon Senate pulled a fast one on it’s residents, SB 978 began as a single page bill that directed the State Police to conduct a study due by 2020. It turned out to be a “placeholder” for a massive assault on your rights by the gun-grabbing Democrats.
The night before the vote, they added 45 pages of what they call the “dash-5” amendments. This was easily passed by the Democrat controlled committee. It has now been placed with the Rules Committee, instead of heading straight to the full Senate.
SB 978 is an Omnibus gun control bill that makes virtually every person that wants to defend themselves a felon.
This extremely irrational bill includes:
- Retailers will be allowed to bypass the law and decide for themselves if they want to sell a firearm to a legally allowed adult aged 18-20.
- You will be a felon if you drive NEAR a “public building” with a firearm. You don’t actually have to go in the building, you just have to be driving by the building while you travel elsewhere, like a firing range.
- The definitions of weapons include pepper spray and baseball bats. So, even if you do not carry a firearm, you may still end up a felon if you attempt to protect yourself with anything else.
- It is ambiguous in several places, including whether or not a person simply possessing blueprints for a 3-D printable firearm could be charged as a felon, regardless if they have built the gun.
- And forget about building your own firearm, for use at home by you, as so many have done for ages. They intend to put a stop to that.
- If you own an antique gun that was built prior to serial number laws going into effect (1968), you will be a felon.
Senator Herman Baertschiger spoke on NRA TV (beginning at 16:30) about this monstrous bill and how the Republicans are trying to fight SB 978.
Oregon Firearms Federation is a leading voice in the fight to protect your rights. They tell us:
As passed the bill will:
Force you to keep your firearms locked up. (The US Supreme Court has already ruled this to be unconstitutional.)
Hold you strictly liable for crimes committed if your gun is lost or stolen (even if you complied with parts of the mandatory lock up regulation.)
Greatly restrict youth shooting programs and events.
Make you a felon if you possess an “unserialized firearm”. (Serial numbers were not required on firearms until 1968.)
Ban so called “80% lower receivers” (the bill calls them “unfinished receivers”) unless they had the manufacturer’s name and serial number engraved on them. If you’ve made a firearm out of an “80%” lower there is no provision for adding a serial number yourself. The possession of any of these finished guns will be a felony. If you currently possess any 80% lowers each one is a Class C felony.
Increase fees for concealed handgun licenses.
Allow you to be charged with a felony for simply being NEAR a “public building”or airport with a firearm even if you have a concealed handgun license. How many “public buildings” do you pass on your hunting trips?
Picking up your spouse at the airport could make you a felon. Picking up your kids at school could make you a felon unless you picked them up in a parking area.
The views, opinions, or positions expressed by the authors and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, positions of Redoubt News. Social Media, including Facebook, has greatly diminished distribution of our stories to our readers’ newsfeeds and is instead promoting Main Stream Media sources. This is called ‘Shadow-banning’. Please take a moment and consider sharing this article with your friends and family. Thank you. Please support our coverage of your rights. Donate here: Paypal.me/RedoubtNews